Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I hope your day was filled with as much green as ours was. 

We started things off with a St. Patrick's Day Eve run for Shamrock shakes, which made for a pleasant surprise for the kids!


Speaking of shamrocks, I was nearly scandalized when I discovered that this was being sold as a shamrock plant in the floral department at the grocery store.


What are those flowers doing growing out of the top? I'm 30 and I don't remember anyone ever saying anything about shamrocks having flowers, or the leaves looking like triangles and not circle-y hearts. 

So, I did some research and while the plant they were selling (Oxalis Regnelli - I only paid $5.00 for it) is kind-of considered one of the many forms of the shamrock, most Irish natives consider the Trifolium Dubium to be the traditional shamrock. This is even more scandalizing because, aside from three leaves, it hardly resembles the shamrock I grew up with. Click on it, I dare you. For whatever reason the Oxalis Acetosella is the plant we've chosen (whoever we is) to depict a shamrock for St. Patrick's Day, and it's not even a front runner in the "what is a true shamrock debate". 

Anyway, I've lost you haven't I? What can I say, I'm bored, Kevin's doing a fantasy baseball draft and I'm waiting for him to finish so we can finish watching the Irish movie The Quiet Man.

So, in the end, I still made American shamrock potato pancakes for lunch today. 


Then for dinner I made Mini Shepherd Pies because nobody actually likes Corned Beef and Cabbage in our house.


Finally, here are some of the Irish/St. Patrick's books we enjoyed yesterday and today.


Erin go Bragh! (Ireland Forever)

Be saints, it's worth it!
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails