Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mexi Bowls

About a week ago three friends and my sister had babies in an 11 day span. Two of them live a mile away, so I made a triple batch of one of our favorite meals to take to them. I'm always on the look out for easy meals that can be taken to friends, so I thought I'd share this one.


Mexi Bowls are a Cotter original and the result of my obsession with black beans and corn. One night I started dumping things that seemed good together into a skillet and viola, Mexi Bowls. You can put this mixture over rice, on a bed of lettuce, on a pile of tortilla chips or you can stuff it in a flour tortilla and make a burrito. I usually melt cheese on top and garnish with black bean and corn salsa.


Todays team players are:

  • 1 lb of ground turkey (or beef)
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning and water according to the packets directions
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
  • Rice for serving over
  • Shredded cheese and salsa for garnishing


Step 1: Brown the turkey, then add the bell peppers and onions. Cover and stir occasionally until the onion begins to turn opaque.


Step 2: Add the taco seasoning and as much water as the packet says to add, then mix it all together.


Step 3: Rinse the black beans and corn, then add them to the mix.


Step 4: Let simmer until the sauce thickens.


Step 5: Serve over rice (shown), lettuce or tortilla chips, or wrap in a flour tortilla. Garnish with cheese and/or salsa.

For delivery I put them in a big disposable foil pan thing. I believe that is what you should ask the grocery store clerk if you are looking for one.


I divided the pan by putting the rice in regular foil and then sticking it in the pan, the mixture just went on the other side. 

Finally, I put some cheese in a baggie and salsa in disposable Tupperwear making the meal ready for delivery!


P.S. The brownies didn't go to my favorite friend, it's just that my other friend is gluten free.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails