Monday, October 14, 2013

Not Scary Halloween Booklist

Each year in October we are that weird family. That weird family who doesn't decorate our home with witches, ghosts, and goblins (even the happy, friendly ones). That weird family who avoids the seasonal section of Wal-get and the grocery store. That weird family who is concerned about that fact that costumes seems to be either based on evil (even in the disguise of misunderstood monsters) or sex saturated (apparently even waitresses, nurses, and nuns can be sexy). That weird family who can't just throw on a store bought costume because their kids dress up as saints for Halloween AND All Saints'. That weird family who tries to finds ways to make the purpose of Halloween, or All Hallows Eve, to be the vigil of the Solemnity of All Saints'.

So, in an effort to find some Halloween/fall-ish books that I can actually read to my kids I've been working my local librarians extra hard these days by putting dozens of books on hold in search of a few that cover Halloween without an evil/scary tone. Here's my list so far, I'll keep adding to it as I find more!


I'm Bernadette By: Emily Ortega (This story is about a girl trying to decide which Saint to be for the All Saints' Day parade and is written by a former FOCUS missionary. I haven't read it, as it is currently on pre-sale, but I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!)
The Pumpkin Patch Parable By: Liz Curtis Higgs
Pumpkin Pumpkin By: Jeanne Titherington
It's Pumpkin Time! By: Zoe Hall*
Leaf Man By: Lois Ehlert
The Biggest Pumpkin Ever By: Steven Kroll*
Grandma's Smile By: Elaine Moore
The Very Best Pumpkin By: Mark Kimball Moulton (We loved this one!)
How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? By: Margaret McNamara
Too Many Pumpkins By: Linda White*
Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin By: Mary Serfozo
Pumpkin Moonshine By: Tasha Tudor

*Books with an asterisk have a mild reference to secular Halloween, such as a picture of a child dressed up as a ghost on their way to trick or treat.

Are there any books you've found that would fit on this list? If so, please add them to the comments so I can check them out!

Be saints, it's worth it!
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails