Monday, August 4, 2014

Curriculum Plans: 2014-2015

August, seriously, you are here? Welp, you always put me into homeschool prep mode, so here we go... our curriculum plans for 2014-2015.

Bean – 3rd Grade




We used this program last year and I'm happily using it again. It is very different from how I was taught math, so sometimes I doubt their methods, but once we finish a lesson and Bean understands the concepts I mentally apologize. At this level there is minimal prep, so I typically look at the lesson between breaks, grab the supplies needed, and we are ready to go. They use lots of hands-on manipulatives and tons of card games for mastering math facts, so Bean rarely complains about math.

English

Writing
Teaching Writing Structure and Style
Student Writing Intensive - Level A

We are drinking the IEW koolaid this year and will be hopping on board with pretty much every Catholic homeschooler in our area. Fortunately, the core programs are provided to me for FREE from our public charter school program. I always knew my tax dollars were good for something.

The items needed for this program thoroughly confused me when I was trying to figure it out. Hopefully that's just me, but I'll share it with you incase I'm not alone.

First you'll need Teaching Writing Structure and Style for YOU. Yes, you will be taking a class so you can better facilitate their methods.


The class is a one time thing, so once you complete the program you are set to facilitate any level of the Student Writing Intensive program, which begins with Level A. My plan is to complete Level A this year and then move on to the next program in the level according to the crazy pathway that IEW has created.


Grammer
Fix It! Grammar- The Nose Tree

Also from IEW, we are giving their Fix it! Grammar program a try. I ordered the student book and teacher manual of the first book, The Nose Tree. Basically Bean will be editing her way through the story and learning new concepts as she goes. Brilliant!


Spelling
All About Spelling - Level 4

After completing, and enjoying, levels 1-3 of All About Spelling, we are continuing on with level 4. IEW suggests using levels 1-3 of this program and then beginning their Phonetic Zoo program for spelling. However, we are sticking with All About Spelling because it's cheaper and we know it works, so why change a good thing? (You'll also need the Spelling Interactive Kit to use this program.)


Handwriting and Typing
Handwriting without Tears - Cursive Handwriting

Another program we've stuck with throughout the years is Handwriting Without Tears.



This year we are venturing into cursive! I have the teacher's guide as well, because I got it for free from our charter school program, but I'm not sure if it's necessary, in the past I've rarely looked at the teacher's guides, even although I have them.

For an extra $3.50 I ordered the keyboarding + cursive handwriting pack ($12.00 for both!). I'm excited to test it out!

Reading Comprehension
Bean does a LOT of reading. Like, hours a day. I'm not too worried about her comprehension skills. However, we still use Reading Eggspress as a fun way to test comprehension because Bean sees this computer program as a treat. (It has an avatar element where your kids can play games with other kids, just a heads up. We don't use it because avatars creep me out.)


Classically Catholic Memory - Delta Year 
For the following subjects we use the memory work laid out by Classically Catholic Memory as the backbone of our studies.

Science
History
Religion
Latin
Geography
Poetry

For more on what this looks like check out my Classically Catholic Memory tab for bi-weekly wrap ups and lesson plans from all 18 weeks of Gamma Year.

More History
This year we will continue to use the American Girl Historical Characters that go along with our history sentences from CCM. So far we have done units on Kaya, Felicity, and Caroline, and throughout next year I have plans of doing the rest of the characters. (Minus Julie and Rebecca... those are my least two favorites.)

Social Studies
Last year we studied North America in CCM geography and I planned on focusing on one state each week until we covered all 50 states. My hope was to be done by now, but alas, we have 15 states to go. We will keep plugging away until we are finished, hopefully by December! Check out the progress so far on our Journey Across America. (Yep, not all of the states we have studied have been posted on yet.)



We purchased Rosetta Stone two years ago and so far Bean has made her way through the first 3 units of Level 1. It was an investment, but it will take her 6-7 years to get through it all at this pace, plus Pal and Peanut will be able to use it as well. Dividing the curriculum out this way makes it about $20.00 per child per year and any other Spanish program would be more than that... not to mention I can’t teach Spanish. We did not get the homeschool edition, and I personally don’t think it is necessary.

"Specials"
We get our "specials" covered at our one day a week charter homeschool options program. This year Bean is taking Drama, P.E., Legos (yes this is a class), art, and science (which is a bonus because we do science at home... they do awesome experiments every week, so it is well worth it!)

Pal - Kindergarten

Math
Rightstart Mathematics – Level A


It's worked for Bean, so I'm hoping it will work for Pal too!

Reading
Basically we are finishing up many of the programs we started last year for reading. I don't do a traditional "phonics" program with the kids, as usually after we do the below, they are reading and it's not necessary.



This book has worked as the starting point of reading for both of our kids. It is very easy to follow as the teacher and I love how comprehensive it is. Pal is almost finished with the lesson and we should finish this up in the first quarter.




I adore these sweet little readers that teach lessons on virtue and the Catholic faith. They can be used as an entire reading program, but Pal only reads the stories in them for some supplemental fun.

Lastly, Pal is using the main component of this online program for supplemental practice with learning how to read. It's also great for basic computer skills!

As a heads up, I have a whole post on what we've used for teaching our kids to read. Check it out for more ideas!

Spelling
All About Spelling - Level 1


Spelling in Kindergarten, wait, whaat? Well, instead of using a traditional phoenix program, I've just taught the kids to read and spell, so far, it's worked. Think of spelling as phoenix, now it's okay. You'll also need the Spelling Interactive Kit to use this program.

Handwriting



I mentioned this one above, and here is a whole post on it!

THE BELOW IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM BEAN'S PLANS
(They'll do these things together, but at their own levels)

Classically Catholic Memory - Delta Year 
For the following subjects we use the memory work laid out by Classically Catholic Memory as the backbone of our studies.

Science
History
Religion
Latin
Geography
Poetry

For more on what this looks like check out my Classically Catholic Memory tab for bi-weekly wrap ups and lesson plans from all 18 weeks of Gamma Year.

Social Studies
Last year we studied North America in CCM geography and I planned on focusing on one state each week until we covered all 50 states. My hope was to be done by now, but alas, we have 15 states to go. We will keep plugging away until we are finished, hopefully by December! Check out the progress so far on our Journey Across America. (Yep, not all of the states we have studied have been posted on yet.)

THE ABOVE IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM BEAN'S PLANS

"Specials"
Pal will be joining Bean at our charter homeschool options program one day a week. The kindergartners stay together all day, so he'll get a variety of activities in and learn how to do important things like raise his hand and stand in a line.


There you have it friends! Let me know if you have any questions, I love talkin' homeschool curriculum!

Be saints, it's worth it!
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails