Sunday, January 2, 2011

Epiphany Crown Cake

I'm back with more professional cake making ideas and tips. Today's cake was inspired by brightideas.com, but I made mine out of ice cream, because...

1. It was on sale.
2. I didn't know what to do with frosted ice cream cones and no ice cream to eat it with.
2. I still have leftover regular cake from Jesus' Birthday cake.

It doesn't look as pretty as theirs, but I was working against the elements as the cake kept melting.


Here's what you will need:

  • 1 1/2 tubs of vanilla ice cream
  • White frosting
  • Sugar cones
  • Skittles
  • Fudge (I used pampered chef's Raspberry Chocolate... because I got it for free with a purchase.)

Step 1: Fill 8 cones with ice cream and put them in the freezer to set. You could also leave the cones empty and fill them with the layered ice cream when serving, which would cut down on a 1/2 tub of ice cream.


Step 2: Put 1/2 a tub of ice cream in a 8 or 9 inch pan and let set in the freezer for a few hours.


Step 3: Add a layer of fudge and let set in freezer for a few hours.


Step 4: Add another 1/2 a tub of ice cream and let set in freezer for a few hours.


Step 5: Place the pan in a tub of warm water for a few seconds to losen the ice cream so you can transfer it to a platter. If you let it get to warm this will happen...


Oops.

Step 6. Let cake set for a few hours.



Step 7: Frost your ice cream cones and then place them on top of your cake... then let set for a few hours. Have you noticed trend here? To be honest a few hours was sometimes 30 minutes, it just depended on how patient I was feeling.


Step 8: Add skittles for embellishments. 

Despite my over warming I was able to just remove the excess melted ice cream once it had frozen again, so it all worked in the end.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails